Top Social

Image Slider

Claw Foot Sewing Cabinet Makeover

Sunday, September 29, 2013
I fell in love when I saw this 1952 sewing cabinet for sale.  I bought it knowing it needed some TLC.  It took me 4 days of lots of work and I'm happy it's done!  I wish the gray stain would have turned out more gray than purple but I'm overall very happy.

BEFORE:
AFTER: 

 I took everything apart and sanded EVERY surface.  It sure is nice to see the old brittle clear coat and marks and scuffs sanded away to see the bare wood.
 Everything sanded, now needs to be dusted!
A piece of wood was broken so I cut a new one.  My plywood was thicker so I had to sand down one edge to fit into it's groove in the cabinet.
 I pre-treated the wood with conditioner for even staining.
 I used Minwax Gray stain.  It was SO hard to decide what color to do!  I kind of wish I would have done a dark brown instead of gray.
 Despite using the wood conditioner the top pieces stained blotchy so I put 2 coats of Sherwin Williams creme color over these pieces.  It turned out better in the end to have some contrast to the whole cabinet.
I also painted the knobs to tie the top in to the rest of the cabinet.
I spray painted the little cabinet and small drawers.
Then I distressed all the creme surfaces to give them an aged look.
I brushed a clear coat on all the wood pieces.  I don't know why but brushing this Polycrylic over the cream top pieces (on the Sherwin Williams paint) turned the clear coat a dark/old color like it pulled the gray stain up from under the paint.  I wasn't very happy with that especially because it doesn't match the lighter creme drawers on the inside but it will have to do.

 Then I cleaned and primed all the metal hardware.  I really debated whether to keep the original look of the hardware but after priming and seeing how good it was going to look I'm glad I did!
I used a hammered black spray paint and did several coats.
I took the old cover off of the stool and spray painted the bottom of the wood and cut out new foam and batting.  The old padding was interesting because it had hair weaved through it.
Next I stapled some creme burlap and clear vinyl to the seat.

Then came the assembly.  I'm so happy I was able to get all the hardware back on the cabinet without any problems!  There were so many different screws and pieces!

BEFORE:
AFTER:

BEFORE:
AFTER:

BEFORE:
AFTER:

BEFORE:
AFTER:

BEFORE:
AFTER:

All set up and in action:

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature