Top Social

Part 2: Singer Sewing Machine and Cabinet Makeover

Thursday, January 30, 2014
Welcome to Part 2 of my 3 Part series!

Part 1: Before & After Pictures

Part 2: Sewing Machine Makeover
Part 3: Cabinet Makeover

In this post I will show you how I fixed up this Singer 15-91 sewing machine. 

video
When I got this machine it was very dull in appearance and in dire need of oiling and TLC.  In this video I am running the machine at full speed.

video
This video is after I fixed up the machine.  It looks and sounds so much better!

 Here's what she looked like...






 There was hardly any grease for the worm gear, and what was there was all dry. The spring for the bobbin winder is broken (you can see it poking up).

I use q-tips and cotton balls with alcohol to get off old grease... just  make sure not to get it in the motor housing!

Old motor grommet.. new motor grommet.

 A bunch of parts including tension assembly.

 Thread take up spring was broken.

 I soaked all the rusty parts in Evapo-Rust over night.

 Dirty armature..

 ... clean armature.

 New grease wicks and grease!

 The wires to the motor were in good shape except for the ends of the sheathing were fraying so I slipped some heat shrink tubing on..

 .. now they're safe!

 Shining all the clean metal pieces with metal polish!

 Thread spool pins are easy to change.  Just twist back and forth with locking pliers and hammer new ones in!

 Old and new spool pins.

Old power cord get's replaced with an all-in-one power/foot pedal cord....

 The machine had a funky knee lever pedal that was meant to stay attached to the cabinet so I found one on Ebay and bought a new cord.
 All prettied up!

 No rust!
1 comment on "Part 2: Singer Sewing Machine and Cabinet Makeover"

Auto Post Signature

Auto Post  Signature